Varun Alagh is an Indian entrepreneur. He is the Founder, Chief Dad and Get Stuff Done Officer, Honasa Consumer Private Limited. Ltd., a company that owns Internet-first personal care brand Mamaearth. Varun is the husband of Indian entrepreneur Ghazal Alagh.
|Education||Delhi College of Engineering|
|Position||Founder & Chief Dad, Mamaearth|
|Net worth||INR. 115 crore (2020)|
Varun Alagh was born in 1984 (age 38 years; as in 2022) in Gurgaon, Haryana. He attended Delhi College of Engineering from 2001 to 2005 to pursue a BE in Electrical. Thereafter, he enrolled himself at XLRI Jamshedpur to pursue PGDBM in Finance and Marketing (2005-2007). During his post-graduation studies, Varun got an opportunity to work as an intern with companies like Colgate Palmolive, Havells Electric, Madura Garments, Maruti and Nokia.
Varun Alagh Biography
- Varun Alagh Height (Approx): 5′ 7″
- Varun Alagh Hair Colour: Dark Brown (Semi-bald)
- Varun Alagh Eye color: dark brown
Wife & Children:-
Varun Alagh is married to Ghazal Alagh (an entrepreneur). The couple has a son named Agastya.
Varun Alagh started his career as a Business Leadership Trainee at Hindustan Unilever Limited in 2007. A year later, he was promoted to the post of Area Sales Manager (Delhi NCR) in the company. In June 2010,Varun Alagh was promoted to the post of Area Sales and Customer Manager (Delhi NCR and Rajasthan). He managed a team of 37 persons distributing 55000 retail outlets in Delhi and Rajasthan. In March 2011, he was made the Regional Brand Manager for Innovation South Asia – Deodorants. He resigned from the company in 2012. Varun then joined Diageo Plc, Mumbai as Senior Brand Manager – Smirnoff. He worked there for about a year and later resigned from the company. Alagh then joined Coca Cola, Gurgaon as a Brand Manager in May 2013. After working for almost two years, Varun was promoted to the rank of Senior Brand Manager in April 2015. As a Senior Brand Manager, Varun looked after consumer marketing. For Coca Cola products such as Coke Classic, Coke Zero and Diet Coke in India and South-West Asian countries (Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Nepal). He resigned from the company in November 2016. Subsequently, Varun Alagh , along with his wife, Ghazal Alagh, founded Honasa Consumer Pvt. Ltd. in November 2016. The company launched its first brand ‘Mama Earth’ in 2016. Mamaearth provides its consumers with all-natural (chemical free) baby care, hair care and skin care products. Honnasa’s other brand, The Derma Company, also trades skin and hair care products. The company launched its third brand ‘Aqualogica’, a skincare brand, in November 2021. As of 2022, he is the Chief Dad and Get Stuff Done Officer of Honasa Consumer Pvt Ltd. Ltd. The company has around 400 employees and is present in around 120 cities across India.
Rise of business idea:-
Varun Alagh and Ghazal’s son Agastya had a skin-borne disease called eczema at the time of his birth. Agastya’s skin was allergic to several products and had become red and itchy when it came into contact with certain products with chemicals. Doctors advised her to use toxin-free baby care products available in the market for her son. It was difficult for the couple to find natural skin care products for their son as most of the baby care products in India contained toxins. As the couple did not want to compromise on the health of their child, they often asked their relatives and friends traveling abroad to bring a toxin-free product for their son. Tired of the hassle involved in arranging suitable products for their child, Varun Alagh and Ghazal came up with the idea of manufacturing their own toxin free products for kids and adults. He named his brand ‘Mamaearth’. The company earned revenue of Rs. 22.19 lakh in the financial year 2017 and Rs. 112 crore revenue in the financial year 2020. In 2021, its revenue will be Rs. 500 crores.
- Conferred with I Am Diageo Award by Diageo India for Outstanding Performance of Smirnoff Nightlife Activation (2013) at National Level
- Received the Business Unit President Award by Coca-Cola India South West Asia for Outstanding Idea and Execution at Coca-Cola Zero Launch (2014) in India.
- Awarded Above & Beyond Awards by Coca-Cola India and South West Asia for going beyond the call of duty on an organization-wide project (2015)
- Awarded Business Unit President Award by Coca-Cola India and South-West Asia for being a key member in the MIT ICE project to commission the FBO business (2015) (2015)
Varun Alagh Biography
- Travel destination: Switzerland
- Trader: Indra Nooyi
- Varun Alagh enjoys traveling and doing adventure sports in his spare time.
- Alagh is an avid reader and reads about two books a week.
- He follows a non-vegetarian diet
- Varun Alagh is often seen drinking alcohol on several occasions.
- Varun Alagh has authored various articles like 5 Benefits of a Start Up on the Wrong Side of Your 30s, Positive Friction in Business, and Goldilocks and Other Golden Rules of Motivation, which have been published in many business magazines.
- He has been featured on the cover of Forbes India magazine.
- Varun Alagh is a dog lover. He set up a special place for dogs to rest outside his ‘Mamaearth’ store in Gurgaon.
- The brand ambassador of Mamaearth is Shilpa Shetty (till 2002)
Also Read :Aman Gupta Biography
Also Read :Peyush Bansal Biography